Climate change has become one of the most pressing issues of our time. Finding creative and effective solutions to climate change—including ways to stop global warming—is one of the most debated and complex topics for scientists and world leaders alike. The health of humanity and our planet is at stake and, with it, the survival of untold species and ecosystems. Every individual action counts.
Though the task may seem daunting, there are viable global warming solutions to slow climate change and change the course of the planet’s future if we take decisive, global action now. Both individuals and companies are wondering how to help climate change. Here are some ways to get started today.
How to Slow Climate Change
If you’re wondering how to reduce global warming, here are five ways individuals and companies can adapt their daily behavior to stop global warming:
- Minimize carbon footprint. This is one of the main ways to stop global warming and can have an impact on both individual action and company commitments. The most powerful way to minimize your carbon footprint is to reduce travel that includes a large amount of fossil fuel such as air travel or extensive driving. Try to take one less business trip and use virtual meetings when possible. Also, be mindful of shipping. Reduce overnight shipping when possible and be mindful of fast fashion which can contribute to the number of fossil fuels burned to produce and ship products around the globe.
- Utilize renewable energy. There are a number of strategies to limit fossil fuel consumption by turning to renewable energy instead. One way to start is by opting to purchase renewable energy from your provider, install solar energy panels, and switch to an electric car.
- Reduce waste. Not only should you aim to waste less food (reducing food waste has a significant impact on both the resources used to transport food from producers to homes and on methane emitted from rotting waste in landfills) but also limit the use of single-use plastics, which often end up in oceans since most plastic cannot be recycled.
- Buy carbon offsets. Investing in projects aimed at capturing and removing carbon from the atmosphere can be one of the most effective short-term climate change solutions. Carbon projects include planting new trees and protecting old-growth forests, the use of biogas and environmentally-friendly cookstoves, and preserving carbon-absorbing peat swamps. Carbon offsets help the world reach “drawdown”, or the point in which the level of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere levels out and begins to decline, stopping climate change and global warming.
- Fight disinformation. When asking ourselves what we can do to stop climate change, one of the most important actions to take is also one of the most personal: engage with friends, family, and colleagues about the importance of fighting climate change. Share your suggestions and ideas about how to reduce global warming to help shift thinking about this fundamental topic. Get involved in local social and political initiatives aimed at fighting disinformation and public apathy.